Dungeness.

2 lights.jpg

power1.jpg

Today we visited Kents most southerly point an atmospheric spot where a mixture of old fishing huts many of which have become designer holiday homes. Many rusting winches remain to show that the small fleet of beach-launched fishing boats was a lot larger in the past.

dez.jpg

power3.jpg

dlh.jpg

nlh.jpg

There are 2 lighthouses the modern concrete lighthouse replaced the old lighthouse which became obsolete when the nuclear power station was built which dominates the area set on the shingle the area looks like a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

nature.jpg

beach

plant.jpg

However, Dungeness has been designated as a National Nature Reserve a Special Protection Area and a Special Area of Conservation. It is said to be the home to 600 species of plants which is a third of all plants found in the UK.

There is a steam narrow gauge railway going to Dungeness which runs most days.

train

 

Advertisements

Port Logan.

Sorting through some of our recent holiday pictures of Scotland.

logan.jpg

port logan.jpg

Port Logan, formerly Port Nessock, is a small seaside village in the parish of Kirkmaiden in the Rhins of Galloway in Wigtownshire. There is a small harbour which was built 1818, largely at the expense of Col. Andrew McDowall.

light.jpg

light1.jpg

There are remains of a substantial pier of coursed rubble, protecting a natural harbour. The most distinctive feature of the harbour is the fine granite and sandstone light-tower, which is well-preserved. It is said that Col. McDowall was trying to compete for Irish trade with the established harbour at Port Pattrick however it appears this venture was not successful.

XH105413 (3).JPG

 

 

Southerness Lighthouse.

lighthouse.jpg

An unusual lighthouse. Originally built in 1748  as a navigational marker pillar later heightened. Became a lighthouse circa 1811 and raised to present height around 1842-3: disused from 1867. Then re-opened 1894 following modernization. The lighthouse has an internal wooden stair. again unused and is classed as a building at risk.

lighthouse3.jpg

lighthouse1.jpg

lighthouse2.jpg

old fisherman’s cottages at Southerness. cottages.jpg

death at the light.

flowers

Veiws from over the hill from the cottage where we are staying look onto Little Ross Island. At the centre of the island is a lighthouse. It was constructed in 1843 by lighthouse builder Alan Stevenson. The island was home to the head lighthouse keeper, underkeeper and their families.  The inhabitants were fairly self-sufficient with food from the sea and a small dairy and piggery.

cowlight.jpg

 In August 1960 two relief lighthouse keepers were sent to the lighthouse during the holiday of the keepers. A member of a local RNLI. He had landed on the island for a walk with his son and stumbled upon the body of  Hugh Clark one of the keepers. – It was a Murder at the lighthouse!

light island

iland.jpg

Soon a nationwide hunt for the other relief keeper, Robert Dickson was underway. Arrested he was found guilty of murder and was initially sentenced to hang. The sentence subsequently changed to life imprisonment.

lhisland.jpg

The lighthouse was manned until the murder and has been automated since 1961. Last year the island and its buildings were sold for less than a Glasgow flat.